Timbrel Chyatee is the founder and designer of Lush Bazaar. Many people know the story of how Lush Bazaar began, but not many people know much about the brilliant woman who started it.
If you ever meet Timbrel Chyatee the first thing you would recognize about her is how her smile resonates such joy and happiness. She is constantly smiling and makes it very obvious how passionate she is about fashion, specifically ethical fashion and making a positive difference in the world. She is one of those women who will someday be on the cover of the Times magazine for changing the world, we are pretty sure about that.
We decided to ask our founder aka the big boss 21 questions. Our chance and yours to get to know her better. Working with Timbrel Chyatee is always an adventure and you can feel the passion she has for ethical clothing with every piece of clothing she designs, but we wanted to know more. Enjoy getting to know the real Timbrel Chyatee.
Please feel free to share, comment and support Lush Bazaar and Timbrel Chyatee’s mission.
- Why did you start Lush Bazaar? I believe that you always know what you are meant to do from a very young age. The hardest part is to follow the passion. Since I can remember I always loved fashion, making my own style and designing my own clothing. I remember sitting in my english class my senior year of highschool and doodling sketches of clothing instead of writing about Macbeth. I knew I wanted to help shape our world for the better and fashion was the way I knew I could, so I followed the passion.
- What is the first design you ever created? I remember being 5 years old and asking my mom for a needle and thread, she gave me one (probably not the safest move, but I was a pretty smart kid) I took my fathers handkerchiefs and sewed my initials and my fathers initials on a few of his handkerchiefs. I also remember my mom had some old fabric she wasn’t using and cotton stuffing. So I took that as my opportunity to sew a small mini pillow for my baby dolls. I was 5, and already ona mission to create through fashion. I think my mom and dad still have what I made.
- What is one piece of clothing you are proud of designing? My very first wedding gown for a dear friend. I was so scared the whole time and seeing the ending result made me so happy.
- Favorite food? It would be a toss up between sushi and my mom’s Hyderabadi chicken biryani. No Doubt
- One thing you never leave home without? My Cellphone and hairtie around my wrist.
- Do you have a hobby? Off-course I DO! When I’m not working I enjoy up-purposing furniture or clothing, writing and photography.
- Fabric you love to work with? In the summer I love working with Oragnza and in the winter I love working with raw silk.
- Who is your hero? I look up to a lot of elders in my life. The ones who shaped me, loved me and taught me all I needed to know to be a good person. I would say my heroes are are grandparents and my parents.I also admire Mandela, Benazar Bhutto and Indira Gandhi.
- If you went to Mcdonalds for lunch what would you order? No doubt a, 6 piece chicken nuggets meal with honey mustard sauce and an apple pie.
- Wine or beer? I love beer that’s super fruity or light.
- Favorite color? I love Yellow and the many tones of yellow, which would probably end up being gold. Ok, I love gold, is that a color?
- Biggest Fear? The world running out of ice-cream and chocolate.
- If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go? I do not think I could choose just one place, but top of my list would be Italy. I would love to travel EVERYWHERE in Italy and eat real gelato and gnocchi. I would also love to travel in a Gondola in Venice or shop in Milan.
- Why are you such a big advocate for women empowerment? I was raised by a strong woman who was also raised by a strong woman, and being a strong woman runs deep in my DNA. I believe the more we support and empower women in our world, the better our world will be. Mothers, daughter, aunts, friends, or grandmothers, we are all women who have the power to change the world.
- If we would check your Spotify what would you currently be listening to? Drake’s new album, no doubt. I can probably lip sync almost 5 songs from his new album by now, and I am doing the Shiggy… YES, I know the Shiggy, do you?
- If you had three wishes what would you wish for? EASY- 1. Provide stable jobs for everyone in the world. 2. Travel all over the world 3. Wish for 100 more wishes (that’s allowed, right?)
- Favorite sports team? I’m a Philly sports lover, all day, any day. Philadelphia Eagles have got to be my favorite Philly sports team.
- What are you currently watching on Netflix? Watching The Office for the 6th time and some kind of documentary.
- Besides Lush Bazaar what else do you do? I started a fine art, educational workshop focusing on educating wedding professionals about Cultured Weddings, it’s called The Cultured Workshop. I also do a lot of styling for photoshoots. I also do freelance digital marketing. I work a lot…
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Happy, healthy, in love, successful in my business and in my personal life. Looking like I never aged and a passport full of new stamps.
- Advice to young entrepreneurs? Never give up on what sets your soul on fire and passion burning. In the beginning there will be more lows than highs, but never give up, because you are pretty close to a big break through. Smile through the chaos and treat everyone with he some respect and kindness you would want to be treated with. Last but not least, embrace every moment and LIVE in the moment you are in, instead of constantly looking forward to the moments ahead. Thank God I’m done!